"The device type does not exist."
This error is usually related to modem/hardware issues and is the same as
error code 608:
1. in dial up networking, find your connectoid, and make sure that the
correct modem is selected in the pull down menu (sometimes it might just
say 'standard modem' instead of your correct modem).
2. Go to modems in the control panel, and check the diagnostics for the
modem, you should see a lot of information, if so, this is the correct
modem... If you get the error again, then the modem is not functioning.
3. Make sure no other programs are using the modem, if so close them try
again, or reboot the computer and try again.
4. Uninstall and reinstall the modem (make sure you do it as per your
manufacturers instructions, use the driver disk for your modem, etc...
5. Uninstall and reinstall dial up networking...
6. dead modem =( try another modem...